Oct 25 2013
The Boy has had a language explosion lately. He parrots nearly everything we say, which of course means we are starting to watch our mouths a little more carefully. But, the things he picks up on are hilarious to me. I don’t even to set out to teach him certain things, but he learns anyway and surprises me with what will come out of his mouth. Some examples:
- I walked into his room to get him up from a nap. He was standing in his crib, and when he saw me, he said “Poopy.” And so he was. The other day, he was standing next to the recliner, looking deep in thought, and he looked at me and again said “Poopy.” Yep, again he needed a diaper change. And that’s another phrase he says pretty well: “Diaper change”. You can infer from this paragraph what a lot of our talk centers around.
- He has started greeting people with “Hey, man!” His dad walked in from work the other day and was cheerfully greeted this way.
- One of his new favorite things is for us to put him in the swivel desk chair and spin him around until he’s dizzy. This morning when I set him in it he grabbed the arm rests and said “Hang on!”
- Sometimes when he does something well, I’ll say “Nice!” He often repeats that back in this way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiygG8Gx7bg. And, as a side note, when he heard that video start playing he cracked up and said “NICE!” I guess it was hilarious.
- He can identify most letters and at least one shape: See-earl! (Circle) He has trouble with words over two syllables, so when I taught him to say W, I really enunciated it. As a result, he now says DUH! BULL! YOU!
I think every parent thinks their child is genius and I’m no exception. Sometimes when he’s babbling I’ll tell him “You’re the genius voice of a generation!” I hope that’s one phrase he doesn’t take to kindergarten with him. Nothing like a little inflated ego to really start a kid off on the right foot.